Best start grant – Scotland Only – £250 for each child to support families on low income (if you qualify)

Deal Score+87
Deal Score+87
2. Early Learning Payment
You can apply from your child’s second birthday up to the day your child is 3 years 6 months old.

If you can get the Early Learning Payment, you’ll be paid £250 for each child you can get the payment for.

If you have children who are the right age for both the Pregnancy and Baby Payment and the Early Learning Payment, you only need to fill in the online Best Start Grant form once to apply for both.
What affects whether you can apply
If you’re over 18, you can apply whether you’re in work or not, but you must be getting one of these:

Child Tax Credit
Universal Credit
Income Support
Pension Credit
Working Tax Credit
Housing Benefit
Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA), not ‘contribution based’ JSA
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), not ‘contribution based’ ESA
Most people who get JSA or ESA get income-based JSA or income-related ESA. If you’re getting Child Benefit, you must still be getting one of the benefits or payments on this list to get Best Start Grant.
Your income, or the amount you get of any of these payments or benefits, does not matter. You just need to be getting at least 1 of them.

If you’re not getting any of these benefits or payments, but have applied for 1, you can still apply for Best Start Grant.

If you’re 18 or 19 and go to school, college or training
If you’re a parent under 18
Best Start Grant has replaced the Sure Start Maternity Grant in Scotland. You can only apply for Best Start Grant if you live in Scotland. If you live somewhere else in the UK, you can apply for the Sure Start Maternity Grant.
Which parent can apply for Best Start Grant
You can apply if you’re the birth mother of a child.

Fathers and partners
If you’re living with the birth mother, you can apply if the two of you are a couple, married or civil partners.

If you’re not living with the birth mother, you can apply as long as you get a benefit for the child that shows you’re the main person looking after them. This means you must be getting Child Tax Credit, Child Benefit, the Universal Credit child payments or the child addition part of Pension Credit for the child you want to apply for.

Who else can apply
You and your data
If you want to know more about how Social Security Scotland use your data, you can read the privacy notice about Best Start Grant.

What you need to apply
Apply online now

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

Register New Account
Reset Password
Skip to toolbar