National Vegetarian Week 13th – 19th May – Celebrate with Offers & Recipes
We aren’t Vegetarians ourselves but my youngest is not keen on the texture of meat, so over the last few years I have tried to introduce more vegetarian meals to help her, we’re not quite at flexitarian standards yet, as we still eat meat based main meals around 4 nights out of 7 and will continue to do so, I suppose you could say. we’re having our cake & eating it too
The Best of Fresh
Lidl Deals – 9-15th May- Spring Onions 35p, Melon 99p, Asparagus Tips 95p.– credit andreocean
Baby Jersey Royal Potatoes 450g for 69p at Tesco – credit idontflycathay
Morrisons Sweet Potatoes 1kg now £1– credit Mo2783
Ready To Eat Medium Avocados Each £0.39 / Tesco Pineapple £0.49 @ Tesco– credit reindeer333
The Best of Frozen
Linda McCartney Vegetarian Roast 500g £2.62 Waitrose & Partners – credit jade1975
The Best of Tinned
Branston Baked Beans x 6 £2 Tesco in store and online – credit CheapandCheer
Being a working mum, I know how hard it is to plan a meal & cook for the family at the end of every day – so I thought it might be nice to share a few recipes / tips to help each other out – if you have any – please feel free to add in comments
Hidden Vegetable Pasta – contains 5 of your 5 a day
The basic recipe is below & it is freezable, so I often batch make & freeze – I’ve tried to find offers on the ingredients & linked to them
Ingredients – serves 4 – prep 15mins / cook minimum 50mins
1 tbsp caster sugar
1) Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan and gently cook the onion, celery, carrots and leek until soft – usually about 20 mins. Add the peppers and cook for a further 10 mins, then tip in the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar. Simmer for at least 20 mins – the longer the better really
2) Cook the pasta following pack instructions. Meanwhile, blitz the sauce with a hand blender until smooth, season and return to the heat to keep warm while the pasta cooks. Drain the pasta and toss through the sauce, serve with grated cheddar or Grated Mozzarella & Cheddarsprinkled over
Hidden Vegetable Mac & Cheese – suitable for vegetarians
Ingredients – serves 6 – prep 15mins / cook minimum 50mins
300g cauliflower– I use frozen but you can use fresh
250g butternut squash chunks– I use frozen but you can use fresh
300g cheddar grated
1) Add water, cauliflower, squash, and carrots in a saucepan. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender.
2) Cook & drain macaroni – al dente as cooks again later
3) Add everything including cooking water BUT NOT macaroni into a blender, and blend until smooth.
4) Return blended veggies to the pot over medium heat, and add the milk, cheese, and cream cheese. Stir until smooth.
5) Add macaroni, reduce heat, mix thoroughly, and cover for 20 minutes
6) Serve ( can spinkle with more grated cheese if required )
Vegetable Bean Chilli – serves 4 – 6 – approx 20mins
You can do this with either tinned or frozen beans / veg
3 Tinsof choice – I use Chilli Beans, Black Eye Beans & Chickpeas
minced garlic to taste – I use equivalent of 2 cloves
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
1) Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions start to soften.
2) Add the garlic and the spices, stir quickly and fry for another minute.
3) Add the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
4) Add the Tinned Beans or Bag of Frozen Mexican Bean Mix
5) Add frozen Mix Veg and cook for approx 10 minutes minutes.
6) Serve immediately with rice
Freebies & Resources